Team Salt Pump
Team Salt Pump is a youth climbing team for self-motivated kids ages 7-19 who want to take their climbing to the next level. Through structured training sessions, team members will strengthen their technical skills, fitness, and climbing ability. With the guidance of our USAC certified coaches, the team will explore all aspects of the sport to help them improve their climbing. Team members will learn about proper nutrition, injury prevention, resting, mental preparation, and route reading.
Team Salt Pump is broken into three sections: First Team, Development Team 1, and Development Team 2. Placement is based on age, skill, maturity, attitude, and drive to compete. All team members are required to fully commit to the practice schedule as well as attend competitions.
Fall season starts with tryouts; the team members are placed; and the fall season ends the week of December 21st. Spring season begins in January with another round of tryouts.
Pricing is $210 per month. This includes a membership to Salt Pump, full access to our facility during business hours, two complimentary guest passes per month, yoga classes, and over 80 hours of coaching.
2018 Tryout Schedule
Thursday, September 6 from 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Saturday, September 8 from 8:30am - 10:30am
- Placement on First Team requires a high level of skill, motivation, and a drive to compete.
- With the occasional exception, everyone is required to participate in a minimum of one season on the Development Team prior to joining First Team.
- First Team members are required to attend the Regional Championships for both sport and bouldering seasons, and therefore must attend a minimum of TWO local competitions to qualify.
- All First Team members must own personal climbing gear.
First Team practices every Monday and Wednesday, 5:30 to 8:00 PM and all teams practice Friday, 4:00 - 6:00 PM
Development Team 2
- Placement on Development Team 2 requires a high level of commitment, maturity, and a drive to compete.
- Over time, all Development Team members are expected to make the transition to First Team. Development Team 2 is the stepping stone to joining First Team
- Development Team 2 members are required to attend at least ONE local competition and are highly encouraged to attend the Regional Championships.
Dev Team 2 practices every Tuesday and Thursday, 3:45 to 5:45 PM and all teams practice Friday, 4:00 - 6:00 PM
Development Team 1
- Placement on Development Team 1 requires a high level of commitment and an interest in competing. Development Team 1 is for the younger, less experienced, and less mature climber who has an interest in competing.
- Practices are similarly structured to First Team and Development Team 2, but the intensity and expectations are slightly eased. Full commitment to the practice schedule is required.
- Development Team 1 members are required to attend at least ONE local competition.
Dev Team 1 practices every Monday and Wednesday, 3:45 to 5:15 PM and all teams practice Friday, 4:00 - 6:00 PM
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-219-8145 to for pricing information or to learn more about Team Salt Pump.
Meet the Coaches
Matty spent most of his teenage years climbing in the mid coast region of Maine, where he studied Parks, Recreation and Ecotourism at Unity College in Unity, Maine. After graduating, Matty pursued his passion for climbing farther afield, traveling to different destinations around the world to challenge himself and broaden his skills. In 2011 he took a job as the Head Coach of Rock Spot Climbing, based in Boston and Rhode Island, where he successfully helped multiple kids reach the bouldering and rope national competitions each year. As an avid outdoor climber, Matty also strives to teach kids the importance of outdoor skills, and take them to outdoor climbing destinations around the country where they can develop there own passion for the sport. In addition to coaching, Matty has also continued to develop as a very talented climber in his own right, having sent multiple 5.14s and double-digit boulders of all different styles and rock types. Matty recently moved back to his home state to live in the Portland area while he pursues a career in nursing and coaches both the youth and adult teams at Salt Pump. Read an interview with Matty.
Henry is a Pine Point native who has been a fixture in the Maine bouldering scene for over a decade. He can often be found in Salt Pump’s Training Pagoda campusing and working on his core. One of Henry’s most notable features is his patient and positive nature, which makes him an ideal coach for the Youth Team. When he is not climbing, he can be found pulling tricks on his unicycle at the region’s skateparks, surfing the shoal breaks of southern Maine, and putting his professional culinary talents to the test. In the last couple of years Henry has been investing his creative energy into routesetting at Salt Pump, including for Youth Competitions. His setting is known to have lots of large holds with wild, inertia-based movements in between them, but he has been diligently pushing his setting prowess into all styles of climbing. We know that his energy and passion for climbing will be a driving force in the development of the Salt Pump Team. Read an interview with Henry.