Salt Pump Climbing Company is Maine’s premier rock climbing gym. We strive to maintain a culture that is both hardworking and fun, while challenging employees with opportunities to learn new things and grow professionally in a dynamic and multi-faceted industry. Located in Scarborough, we are 10 minutes from Portland, 10 minutes from the beach, and less than two hours from some of New England’s finest climbing destinations including Pawtuckaway, Cathedral & Whitehorse, and Shagg Crag.
Climbing Coach - Youth and Adult
The primary responsibilities of the Climbing Coach is to lead Salt Pump’s competitive youth climbing program and the adult training team. Hours may vary from week to week with flexibility possible depending on whether additional responsibilities are desired such as routesetting.
Responsibilities to be shared with other Salt Pump Climbing Coaches:
- Responsible for all Salt Pump competitive youth team programming, including team selection, training of staff, curriculum building, running of training sessions, and attending competitions (local and away).
- Managing any disciplinary issues with the support of the Youth Program Manager.
- Responsible for all Adult Team programming, including scheduling, curriculum building and implementation, paperwork and communication.
- Responsible for all administrative duties, including scheduling and registration for tryouts, practices, and competitions, as well as communications with parents and team members.
- Responsible for maintaining a professional demeanor at all times. Salt Pump Coaches are at the forefront of our community and must be considerate and have a positive, professional attitude both while working and while climbing on personal time.
- Routesetting under the guidance of our Head Routesetter and as a part of the Salt Pump setting team.
- USAC Coaching Certification
- Coaching experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and administrative skills (knowledge of Rock Gym Pro helpful)
- Be friendly, caring, and kind
- Enjoy working with climbers of all abilities, ages, and experience levels
- Background in climbing and/or outdoor adventure
- Route setting experience is helpful
- Adult & Pediatric CPR and First Aid Certified (will train the right candidate)
- Ability to spend many hours per day actively engaged and standing on varying surfaces
Salary and Benefits: The time commitment for this position is full time, but can be flexible for the right candidate. Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Salt Pump Climbing Co. is committed to building a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Meet some of the current staff and partners on our Staff Page.